Monday, June 18, 2012

Book Club: Persuasion and A Civil Campaign

Why? Well, ZP asked for a review of Persuasion by Jane Austen. I wanted to tie it into a book called A Civil Campaign by Lois McMaster Bujold. They actually have a fair amount to say to each other. I'm sorry it took so long for me to type this, but I read quickly and write slowly.

Here is the wikipedia for Persuasion. If you want full plot and summary and stuff, click there.Here is the wikipeida for A Civil Campaign. Go there for plot and spoilers.

Why Persuasion? Two reasons.
 I like Jane Austen and this is one of my more favorite ones. ZP suggested it. Suggestions for future reviews will definitely be considered.

Why A Civil Campaign? ACC, written by Lois McMaster Bujold,  is a sci-fi opera novel, billed as "A Comedy of Biology and Manners." It's like Jane Austen at PG 13 with heartbreak, mad science, get rich quick schemes, political intrigue, bad dates, weddings, explosions and it's hilarious.  ACC is #12 in a series and one of the best of that series. It isn't hard sci-fi. If you're looking for that, read Robert Heinlein, Ray Bradbury, Gordon R. Dickson, Isaac Asimov, Piers Anthony...

Now, these books can be read in any order - I did - this was the first one I read and then I just had to read the rest. It's that good. If you can though, please read in order. You'll get so much more out of them. I laughed and cried and made my little sister listen to quotes I pulled out of the book. Go read.

I just hope I can tackle them without giving too much away.

Persuasion is one of Jane Austen's more interesting novels. It stars an older heroine who is being given a second chance at love with a fellow she broke up with when much younger because of her aunt's telling her it was a bad idea.  What else? The heroine, Anne, is an awesome person, but not very good looking anymore. Her family is pretty much useless. Well meaning, but not very nice people.

In ACC, "Despite all his power, Lord Miles Vorkosigan can't win the hand of the beautiful Vor widow, Ekaterin Vorsoisson, who is violently allergic to marriage as a result of her first exposure. But as Miles has learned from his career in the galactic covert ops, subterfuge is always an option. So he devises a cunning plan." (Goodreads). Let me put it this way: "General Romeo Vorkosigan, the one man strike force" (lifted straight from the book).

Now, what do these books have to say to each other?

Well, firstly, they're about older characters who are falling in love. Most of the novels I've seen (with a few exceptions) star young twenty-somethings. Anne, heroine of Persuasion, is twenty-seven. Now, for those of you who are saying: get real! I've gotta say: in 19th century England.
So picture an unmarried girl of twenty-seven in a Chassidic or very right wing Orthodox community. Not only that, but as an unmarried girl she can't really be independent. Anne is staying with various relatives as a poor relation. Hero, on the other hand, is a rich captain in the navy. 

In ACC, the hero, Miles is thirty nine and the heroine, Ekaterin is about that age also. Miles is a veteran of past relationships (All's fair in love and war...) and Ekaterin is the survivor of an abusive marriage with a nine year old boy, staying with her relatives as a poor relation. Miles is the oldest son of an aristocratic family. They first met three months ago and during that book Ekaterin's first husband died, mourned by very few individuals.

It starts there...

What else? Persuasion raises issues about being married and why do you get married and what you look for in someone that you're getting married to. For instance, is it better to marry someone who's stubborn and opinionated or someone who's flexible? Why do you marry? Do you marry to become independent, for money, position, deep and lasting affection? What is love, anyway?


ACC raises questions about marriage and mistakes. Is a marriage ever a mistake? If we'd met earlier, could we have gotten married then? What makes a good marriage? How do you figure it out? How do you get kids involved? Does age affect anything? What do you gain from past relationships? How do you handle baggage? What defines marriage? Not only that, but it also examines some really fascinating gender roles.

What I find really interesting is that both books revolve around courtship and the process of discovering and admitting to love. What really drives the first part of each book is dishonesty or misunderstanding between the courter and courted. What opens up the resolution? A letter of apology. Honesty between the hero and heroine. The hero's ability to stop lying to himself and the young lady. The heroine's ability to forgive and overlook old hurts and misunderstandings.  A fantastic cast of supporting characters and subplots.

At the heart of both books? Honesty, forgiveness, trust, laughter, and love. Enjoy!



Any other recommendations?

- Sparrow


4 comments:

  1. I LOVE Persuasion and I actually have a draft that connects it with some torah thoughts, we'll see if I get around to finishing it.

    I think one of the most beautiful aspects of Persuasion is the theme of timing (namely how things need to happen at the right time). There is an 8 yr gap since they last saw each other and that time has allowed them to become each other's perfect/ideal match.

    We always wonder about going back in time and getting second chances...that, for me at least, is the main theme in Persuasion...

    Great review ;)

    p.s. some called it "the pride and prejudice for the intellectual mind"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never read "Persuasion," but I am addicted to the 1995 film version starring Amanda Root and Ciarin Hindes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ZP: Glad you liked. I'm also glad you liked the review, I was a bit scared to tackle this one. It's not just time, but also realizing that there are different kinds of strength. My favorite Austen is a toss between Northanger Abbey and Sense & Sensibility.

    Princess Lea: oooh, that brings back memories! I saw that one in Seminary with very good friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a while to like Northanger Abbey, but though I enjoy it, it is not up there with P or P&P. The BBC version is amazing! Mansfield Park is my LEAST favorite, alongside Emma. S&S is okay...didn't like either film adaptation and the novel seemed (to me) like a lesser version of P&P.

      Delete

Please keep comments respectful.